Monday, October 10, 2011

Adventures of The Runaway Chinese Bag

So first up, some background: Here in Vanuatu we have thick plastic bags called Chinese bags (there is a very large Chinese population in the capitol, I don't know if the bags got the name because they brought these bags with them or if they got the name because you buy them primarily from Chinese stores). Anyhow, EVERYBODY uses them and they are very popular with us PCVs (Pease Corps Volunteers). In fact one of the first things we received from Peace Corps was a huge Chinese bag filled with important stuff like sun block and bug spray. Chinese Bags come in many different sizes, giant Chinese bags (like the one in this true life story) are about 2 1/2 ft tall and 1 ft wide. Very awkward to carry.

The Story:
I had just gotten back from town and I had my backpack, my duffel, and my giant Chinese bag. I start walking toward my hill with all of my bags, stopping often because they were a bit heavy and hard to carry. A few of my students saw me and came running down their hill to ask if they could help. I handed off my duffel and we headed up my hill. I decided to make two trips and left my Chinese bag at the bottom of my hill and went up to unlock my door and put my other bags down. I took a little break at my house then went back down my hill to grab my bag. I hoisted my bag onto my back and started up my hill. At about half way I decided I needed to take a break and half dropped half set my bag on the ground. Well it decided, at this point, to rool down the hill. It took me about half a second to decided to just let the bag go thinking that if I was to run after it I would break my neck or arm; and surely the many bushes and coconut trees would stop the bag or it would run out of momentum. However, this did not happen. It decided to roll all the way down the hill, scaring a pig when it finally landed at the bottom. At this point I decided to sit down and rest before going down AGAIN. During my rest I was trying to decide whether I wanted to laugh at the situation or cry. I did neither. Luckly three of my students were watching the activities (rolling on the ground laughing I'm sure) and came running down their hill to fetch my bag and carry it to my house. I was extremely greatful. I gave them bubbles for being awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment