Sunday, January 30, 2011

Overwhelmed

I am in Vila the capitol city of Vanuatu right now and I must say it's a bit overwhelming. To go from a village with two stores and no cars or trucks, and by no cars or trucks I mean there isn't even a road connecting my village to the rest of the island, staying in a city full of cars, trucks, and 'buses' (large vans) is a lot to handle.

No, Villa isn't exactly a large city, though it is the largest city in Vanuatu, it is considerably smaller than even Muncie, IN. which is quite small (and I don't mean population numbers though Muncie might actually be bigger in that way too, I don't know and don't feel like doing the research). So the fact that a city this size is overwhelming to me is kind of scary. Especially considering I've lived in Houston a huge city. The funniest feeling of being overwhelmed is when I went to Wilco, a hardware store here in Villa.

I went in to buy a hose clamp for my stove (as you know if you've read the post before this one) and when I walked in the door I literally stopped and stood in jaw-dropped awe at the sheer size and selection of this store. Now, you should know that while Wilco is large and has about the same set up of Home Depot it is still about a third of the size. And while I appreciate a good hardware store I am not the type of person to hang out there for hours on end or rush there on the weekends. I'll go if I have to. But, I was just shocked at how huge this store is and this worries me. How am I going to react to being back in America with it's Wal-Marts and giant two-story malls? The idea of a sky scrapper is unfathomable to me at this point, and I'm only 5 months into my service. How am I going to react after another year and a half?

I'm worried.

No comments:

Post a Comment