Thursday, June 16, 2011

Long Time No...Post?

It has been quite a while since the last time I have written a new post. As you my know. Or not. Anyways, I have a few things to report, not too much. First up I don't have much to report because I pretty much do the same thing everyday at site. I get up, head to school, do a library class or two, and then hang out in the library until five in case one of the teachers needs help planning or anything. Saturdays are laundry days and Sundays are church days, unfortunately. And that's my basic day to day, not much going on. However, a couple of weeks ago I attended a TOT, aka Training of Trainers, in order to hold my own camp G.L.O.W. (Girls Leading Our World). The training took place on Ambae, an island not too far away from my own. In fact myself and some other people took a speed boat from my village/island to Ambae. In my case that was a 9 hour boat ride and I have now seen the entire west coast of Pentecost island. I would not recommend doing this all in one day unless you had a covering over the boat. Luckily the training, which was a week long, was well worth it and I can't wait to hold a G.L.O.W. for the girls of my village.

After the TOT I then headed right back to Port Vila so that I could head out to Sydney the next week. This was quite a process. The plan was to take the Efate Queen (a passenger ship) from Ambae to Port Vila in order to save some money. This had the potential of working out really well and it would get me to Vila with just under a week to get all of my paper work in order. However, the ship decided to run early that week and I missed it. So my last resort was to take a plane. I called Air Vanuatu and basically there were no flights to Vila at any time due to all of the students and teachers trying to get back to school after the short vacation. But eventually I managed to get a booking. So I head down to a booking agent in town to pay for my ticket and I find out I, in fact, do not have an actual confirmation but I am on the waiting list. So I may get on a flight, but then again I may not. Then next two days consists of me frantically calling all the people I could, explaining to them that I have an international flight the next Wednesday that I absolutely cannot miss! At this point I'm worried out of my mind, wondering if I had wasted approximately $400 to go to Sydney. This is Tuesday and the next afternoon I get a text from the booking agent saying that he can get me on a flight the next day! I need to but that man a pony!!

In any case I manage to get to Vila, get everything straightened out, and I was ready to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment